Tuesday, October 16, 2012

mid-life crisis of identity

Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple of months.  And it's sad that I haven't posted more, since we've had so many great things going on:
  • celebrating Ash's third birthday (super cool rocket ship theme)
  • Kennedy turning seven, eight and (today) nine months and now crawling, climbing and cruising
  • earning a promotion with Pampered Chef and going to Denver for a conference
  • celebrating my 35th and Greg's 39th birthdays
  • and just overall recording of all kinds of cuteness that the kids are saying and doing these days (for example, when I told Ash yesterday to stop playing with his wee-wee, he said, "But I need to play with my wee-wee, Mommy.  It's big!")
And I have all kinds of pictures that I should have been putting up on here at some point, too.  But as I'm trying to keep up with the kids, the house and my PC business, blogging has fallen lower on my priority list.  Until tonight. :)  I've had this post simmering in my mind for a few weeks now, and I'm finally taking the opportunity of a quiet house late at night to write it out.

So here's the thing.  I feel like I'm having to start my life completely over these days, and I find myself really questioning where I find my identity.  The last time I felt this way was back in 2008, when my identity really did change, as I went from being a Gosselink to being a Ford.  I was 30 and getting married for the first time, and it rocked my "strongindependentsinglewoman" world.  But because I married a man who loved me for being strong and independent, and because my job and my friends and everything still stayed the same, the transition wasn't that difficult and I thankfully still enjoy my new identity as a Ford.  (Signing my name is SO MUCH easier!)

But in the past 6-9 months or so, I have gone through many more life transitions.  I have gone from having one kid to having two kids -- not as easy as it might sound.  I have gone from working a more-than-full-time job to being a stay-at-home mom.  I used to do Pampered Chef as a part-time job/hobby, but now I have a full team and a growing business to maintain.  I no longer work in higher education, the career that I had built over 12 years.  I don't see my friends every day anymore.  And we've even been checking out other churches lately, too.

I had one of my "whatintheworldishappeningtome" moments when I was at the national leadership conference for Pampered Chef in Denver.  I was travelling with some awesome women who had been to these conferences many times over the past 10 or so years.  They knew all the ins and outs ("make sure you're last in line here, because..." and "they usually give this away then") and they knew all of the "big name" people in the business.  And I had this moment of crisis...what was I doing at a freakin Pampered Chef conference?!?  I had been going to the ACSD conference for 12 years and I was the one who knew all of the ins and outs, I knew the big named people and I was actually building MY career and people knew ME at those conferences!  And now, where am I?  Starting all over again, going to my first PC conference and starting a completely different career.  Identity shock #1.

And I know that I blogged about friendships changing before, but as more time has passed, I just have to say that making new friends as an adult really sucks.  I understand that things have changed, but I miss having friends who already know me and love me.  I really do like the new friends that I'm making, but they don't know me yet.  I'm starting completely over with my friendships, and while these new friends are getting to know me, we're not at a point where we can support each other on a deeper, personal level.  And most of them already have their support systems and friendships in place -- I'm someone new that is trying to fit into their already established lives.  So during this transition time of finding new friends and trying to get to a point of depth and support, I'm lonely.  Identity shock #2.

And I'm learning what it means to really be a full-time mom.  The biggest challenge with that right now is with Kennedy, who ONLY wants to be with me all. of. the. time.  She screams and cries and gets big red welts on her face if I'm gone for more than 15 minutes.  And we've done everything the way we were "supposed" to -- we introduced the bottle around 6 weeks (which she took fine until 5 months), I've left her home with Daddy 1-2 times a week, and I even went away for three full days/nights last month.  But it's getting worse with her, so much that I've decided that unless I'm going to a show and I honestly cannot take her with me, then I'll just take her everywhere I go or sit things out until she's over this phase.  So remember when I used to be a strongindependentsinglewoman?  Or even a capableindependentworkingmom?  Yeah, now I find myself more tied down than I've ever been in my life.  Identity shock #3.

I could go on and on about the different identity shocks I've been feeling, but the bottom line is, they don't matter!  Because THANK THE LORD, my identity is NOT found in my career, my friendships, my independence, my children or anything else of this world.  I am a child of God, and He MADE me and He LOVES me and that will NEVEREVEREVER change.  (And my husband!  I love that through all of the transitions that I'm going through and we will both go through, Greg will always be with me as my best friend and partner in life.)

As I think about this mid-life crisis of identity I'm going through, the best analogy I can think of is that I'm like a tree.  I used to have long branches with beautiful leaves on them, leaves that brought me attention and affirmation, comfort and confidence.  But those leaves have been falling quickly around me, and I feel very naked and exposed without them.  I know that I'm still the same tree, but I look and feel very different.  It's not comfortable yet, but I know that my roots are firm in the foundation of Christ, and new leaves will eventually grow into place.  (Okay, that turned out to be MUCH cheesier than I meant for it to be.  But you get the point.)

Sigh.  I really don't like having to restart my life as a 35-year-old.  But I am thankful for the neverchanging love and presence of the Lord and my husband, and for the way I am becoming more and more comfortable with this new identity of mine.  Or at least I'm trying. :)

6 comments:

  1. I am so stoked that I get to have dinner with you and Kennedy! Can't wait to swap stories an get to know each other better :) Love your honesty here and can definitely relate to a lot of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em ...super duper-ly loving all of your posts and feels we r walking though similar things over and over! thanks for sharing;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love. =) I hope you know that there are - oh, ever so many of us rooting for you even at a distance (which really isn't that much of a distance, argh!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in a very similar place, and it makes me feel better to know I'm not alone! I got married about a year out of college, but I have always been an independent spirit and I have many days now when I look at my life and wonder "what in the world am I doing??"
    I actually freaked out when my husband first asked me to go out with him because, as we were already good friends, I knew that meant he thought he could marry me. Now I have two babies, as you know, and I don't even know how I got here! What happened to me? Why did all my friends get to leave and I'm stuck here starting over? My very best friend is getting married in December and then moving to Missouri, and though I am super happy for her, I am going to be SO sad!

    However, you are right. Our identity is to be found in God. I am a child of God, and my purpose here on earth is to further His kingdom and share with the world His love. I am thankful for that assurance, and thankful that it will never change. Thankful that my God is always the big, powerful, loving father I need when I am feeling my identity crisis.
    For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, I just happened upon this and read it as a way to avoid what I need to get working on next... but it was just what I needed to hear. I needed to hear another strong woman be broken. My identity has also been rocked in the past four months - I'm back and forth between thinking I'm going to make it and just feeling plain discouraged. New husband (that part's great!), new place, new job in a new type of school, new (sort of) friends, new church, new responsibilities, new fears, new joys.
    It's kind of funny to realize that while you thought you relied on Christ for your identity, you were really just comfortable where you were. Of course, it's great to know that know matter how we perceive our identity, it remains firmly rooted to Jesus. THANK YOU for voicing these things. It brings me a lot of comfort... I don't feel as alone in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, thank you SO much for your honesty and vulnerability in this post. :) You are so good at that! I cannot imagine going through ALL of this at the same time. God is really bringing you through a MASSIVE transition. And yes, our identity is in Christ and as you said, that definitely brings a sense of relief and HOPE...but it doesn't necessarily take away the pain and loneliness you are feeling. Thank you for being YOU, Emily! You are beautiful, strong, and independent STILL, but your life looks very different now. Now you are Mrs. Independent with two kids in tow! :) I hope more people will read this post and gain comfort...God will use this situation in so many ways, Emily...in your life and in others' lives. Be encouraged and blessed, my friend! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete