Monday, April 30, 2012

one of those days

I texted Greg earlier today and said that HIS kids were driving me crazy today!!  I don't know what happened, but Ash has been ridiculously hyper all day, and Kennedy has been fussy unless I'm holding her.  It's my own fault, really, for being too ambitious when writing out my to do list this morning.  And then did I really think to myself that the kids would calm down if we got out of the house for a little bit and did the grocery shopping?  I should have known better!  Ash wouldn't sit in the shopping cart, so I had to keep wrangling him in as he would "help" find things that he thought we needed.  Kennedy usually sleeps through grocery shopping, but of course not today, so I was constantly putting her paci back in her mouth.  I'm shocked that I remembered to get everything on my grocery list (and that I didn't add "bottle of wine" to the list and start drinking it by aisle #3).

Later, when I was nursing Kennedy, Ash was eating quietly in the kitchen.  Or so I thought.  He had oh so creatively put his straw into his applesauce, spilling it onto his leg, which he was trying to lick off with his tongue.  After cleaning him off and refilling his lunch plate, I heard him take his go-gurt tube and fly it through the air, saying, "Super Yogurt!  Blast off!"  I found a nice blue spot on the chair where Super Yogurt must have "landed." 

But here's the thing...my kids are happy.  The reason Kennedy is fussy is because whenever I try to feed her, she doesn't eat enough.  All she wants to do is stare at me and smile and laugh.  How awesome is it that she finds such delight in just looking at me?  And it's not like Ash is being deliberately disobedient.  I love that he's a vibrant, creative and energetic little boy who sometimes gets distracted because he's having so much fun.

And there was a moment this afternoon when I was changing Kennedy's diaper, with Ash crawling on my back, while texting with a Pampered Chef client and entering her order into my laptop.  Seriously, I was doing all these things at one time.  And in the midst of the chaos, I felt a peace, knowing that this might have been "one of those days," but I was doing it.

2 comments:

  1. The Super Yogurt may have gone SPLAT, but YOU my friend are flying as a super mom!! Though there were moments today when you might have wanted to pull out your hair or scream- you made it! And you somehow kept a sense of humor and focused on the positives. Are you proud of yourself? I am :) Good to see you yesterday! I got sun, and I bed you, Kennedy, and Greg's head might have too :)

    ReplyDelete